Constitutional Liberty in Higher Education

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…  Amendment 1, United States Constitution

The first amendment to the constitution is fairly clear and unambiguous.  In recent years, however, the topic and application of this amendment have been under intense scrutiny, especially in the academic realm.  A quick scan of higher education headlines yielded me a significant number of articles regarding the intersection of religious freedom on college campuses. These same campuses espouse freedom of expression and human rights; yet seek to curtail those freedoms and rights by limiting their students’ freedom to exercise their religion. Among the headlines covering this I found:

This is just a brief sample of the many reports I found of Christian students or student groups having difficulty exercising their “free exercise thereof” on campus.  In many instances, students had to appeal rulings, seek legal counsel, and in some cases sue in order to get these negative sanctions overturned. Why does it appear that the most learned among us have found it so difficult to take an approach to the issue of religious freedom that establishes the appropriate organizational boundaries without appearing to trample the rights of the students?

For generations, the American liberal arts college experience has been called one of the best in the world for its ability to teach students about the power of ideas.  Many of these same colleges listed above proudly tout their status as champions of rights, expressions, ideas, and ideals.  However, it appears that they have some measure of difficulty manifesting these statements in practice when it comes to constitutionally-protected expressions of religious liberty.

I was once blessed with a mentor who told me that if I wanted to tell who was being truthful with me and who wasn’t, look to see if their words match their behavior.

As the students say, #justsaying

So you’re reading or listening to Pillars for Freedom and you have an opinion. Do you want to add something or share with us? In lieu of a comments section, we now accept Letters to the Editor, where you can share your point of view.

Letters to the Editor

Categories: